Lager E was created at the beginning of August 1944 and was known as Baulager E or Erziehungslager. Inmates: 1000 – 1500 forced laborers, mainly Belgians, French, Dutch and Italians. The necessary barracks were dismantled by forced laborers in Hermsdorf and rebuilt here. From the beginning of three barracks, their number rose to about 20, which were in the valley between the forest edge and the creek. The forced labor barracks each consisted of 6 rooms, with an occupancy of 24 people per room. The kitchen barracks included a concrete basement, which was used for detention. The camp was not fenced at first, but this was gradually done until the beginning of January 1945.
The death rate in Lager E was alarmingly high. The morguewas at the end of the camp. However, some of the deceased forced laborers were buried in a field above the camp, at the edge of the forest. Their exhumation took place in 1947 by an Allied military commission.
Initially, the forced laborers still had the opportunity to leave the camp, under certain conditions, to go work in the surrounding villages, for an extra portion of food. This was banned in December 1944. As a result, there was a steady increase in the death rate.
Lager E, near Eichenberg, is one of two recognized forced labor camps (Camp VII, in Leubengrund) of the „REIMAHG““ by the IOM (International Organisation of Migration). This recognition was based on the great commitment and professionally work of our association.